Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

origami, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: YAM & HTML

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Hi SamuraiCrow,
What I'd done is create an object framework with a lot of functionality built-in, e.g. automatic building of the object tree, pre and post registering with parent actions, ability to propogate data up and down the object tree, enabling saving of a specifc object's contents by setting its save flag and then just issuing a save command through the object tree, same for load, automatic validation routines, centralised notifcations system, undo/redo, localisation, even the essentials of a relational database for record objects.

However, it was all centred around MUI objects and the way MUIRoyale creates its objects via an XML file. On starting my new job, I found it would be valuable for me to start creating some educational applications, but of course this would be for windows (and this was before RapaGUI was launched a few months ago). I wanted to be able to use the functionality of my objects but without MUI.

One big issue here was how different MUI objects and ordinary Hollywood objects are set up - the former via an XML file, the latter by direct calls. All of my system was via XML, so I started looking at doing everything from XML files, but for applications that still made use of MUI it would mean stripping out all the non-MUI code before issuing mui.create, which was getting stupidly complicated. I've now gone for a mixed approach - set up any MUI/RapaGUI elements via XML and Hollywood objects via direct creation/initialisation calls in a specific function in the main program. This does of course mean I'm needing to go through some of my objects (such as buttons) and rework them to be initialised either from XML or directly. I'm hoping to be able to accomodate either a MUI or RapaGUI build in the one framework by setting an appropriate switch in the application tag of the XML file.

I also had things set up include all the MUI classes into the executable, which was incredibly inefficient for college applications as these would not be used. So I've been disentangling those to allow just the required ones to be included (which meant sorting out a load of dependencies I'd managed to code into the system...)

Finally, I had been looking at adding code to my classes to build GUI elements directly within Hollywood for Windows applications, but now RapaGUI is released that's not needed anymore, so I'll need to go through a strip out that code; still; I'd much rather do this than have to build all the gadgets by hand!

Anyway, I'm trying to build this YAM application using the framework, and although I haven't actually added any functionality to it yet the application and its objects did, after a but more bug hunting, compile last night, which from where it was is definitely a move forwards!

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 2:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I've finally found some time to finish this - many apologies for the long delay. I've just uploaded it to the AROS Archives as HEY_1.0.i386-aros.zip in the network/email category.

HEY is short for Html Enhancer for YAM, and is a set of programs to make viewing html-based emails from YAM a little more comfortable. Double-clicking on a html icon in YAM allows the code to be quickly displayed in OWB, and double-clicking on a url in a message allows the address to be simply pasted into OWB's address bar. Please see the PDF in the archive for a full description of how to install and use it.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 4/4 14:04

From Poland
Group:
Great news!! Thank you!

Posted on: 4/7 12:24

Edited by tomek on 2017/4/7 12:55:02
Edited by tomek on 2017/4/7 12:57:26

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
You're welcome. It works on my machines, but if you come across any issues, please post them up here.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 4/7 17:10

From Poland
Group:
It works OK. :) However it is necessary to read manual :)

Posted on: 4/8 23:13

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
Quote:

tomek wrote:
It works OK. :) However it is necessary to read manual :)

I'm glad it works as expected, but yes, it does need a very specific setup, so the manual is a definite must.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 4/9 1:26

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.