Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Are there new Amiga compatible computers available?

From US
Group:
Is anyone still producing or selling new machines that are Amiga compatible? For curiosity sake, I'm interested in anything not using emulation. Such as a FGPA implementation like the MiniMig or MIST, a well designed machine running AROS, or actual like-new Amiga hardware.

Is anything like this still available? If so, where would I look? The sites that I've come across have miscellaneous old accessories and stuff, but no actual machines.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/8/3 23:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Are there new Amiga compatible computers available?

From Colorado, USA
Group:
The last production runs of the A1200 and A4000 happened about 20 years ago. There have not been any 680x0-based Amigas ever since.

AROS runs primarily on x86 PC hardware using components that drivers exist for and running old stuff on software emulation.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 8:48

From US
Group:
I knew about official Amiga hardware. But there have been various clones, home brews, and FGPA rigs through the years. Are any of those still available?

I have a couple of A1000's. But that is the most powerful Amiga compatible hardware I've ever owned. I'd love to have something more useful. A hard drive in particular would be so nice. ;)

(I picked these two up in '96 because I could for almost nothing. They do work and I enjoyed playing with them for a while. But back then, that only made me want something better but availability was already an issue and I did not have much money anyway. Oh well...)

Posted on: 2016/8/4 8:58

From Colorado, USA
Group:
If you don't mind an FPGA accelerator for your A1000, the Vampire 500 will work if you stick about 4 or 5 chip sockets between the accelerator and the 68000 socket. The Apollo core is several times faster than a genuine 68060-based accelerator and has a high-definition framebuffer for HDMI. Sidewinder has taken the bounty to get the HDMI graphics driver up-to-date once he gets his prototype V500. I'm supposed to get my prototype board today to work on AHI audio drivers for it. See http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/ for more information about the Vampire accelerators.

If you still don't want an FPGA accelerator, PhoenixKonsole sells preconfigured Aeros SD and MicroSD cards for ARM based computers. They run hosted AROS on top of the Linux kernel and drivers.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 9:07

Group:
Quote:

JonRobertson wrote:
But there have been various clones, home brews, and FGPA rigs through the years. Are any of those still available?

there have been small number of clones, usually for embeded or video application, one of them the name of access if i recall right, another the draco and casablenca by macrosystems. then there were some fpga platforms meant for amiga core or such that coule load one. most notably minimig, but there were also chameleon and similar and even some generic development boards that could load derivates of the same core. now, since fpga has proven fast enough since a while there is fpga-arcde, mist and finally vampire-apollo.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 10:34

From US
Group:
Thank you. I am very interested in a FPGA accelerator. I followed Commodore One closely soon after the announcement that Jeri was working on it. Unfortunately I was not able to get one and I lost interest in it for a while. But FPGA has come a huge way and I'm once again very interested.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 10:56

From US
Group:
I came across references to minimig, chameleon, fpga-arcade, mist, and MCC 216. None of those still seem to be available. And I read that at least some were not playing by the rules.

If any of those are still available, I'd like more information about them. Searching hasn't turned up anything that is still valid.

Thanks

Posted on: 2016/8/4 11:02

From US
Group:
I took a quick look at the Vampire 500. Very interesting.

It'll probably be a couple of months before I make any purchasing decisions. Right now, I'm considering buying something "newer" than the 1000, particularly for ease of doing something like the Vampire. I'm not much of one for hacking around on cases and boards and such. (I had someone install my second SID chip, way back in the day. :)

Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 11:13

From US
Group:
What about the Armiga? (http://www.armigaproject.com/)

Does anyone know whether it is really still available or have any experience with one?

Posted on: 2016/8/4 13:59

From Ohio
Group:
I did a search for armiga specs and found this site which opened it. http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/06 ... atchbox-armiga-pulls.html

Its basically a raspberry pi, you can just get one and build it yourself.

I picked up an A2000 this week, trying to get it working. But I'd like to find a minimig or similar myself.

Posted on: 2016/8/4 16:57

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.