Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
4 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 3
Guests: 1

impulse, cybergorf, OlafS3, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: SSH support

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

deadwood wrote:
About terminal emulation: I don't know how these things work, but it seems it is needed for example to run midnight commander. Neil, can you describe in more detail your idea? I would hate to write code myself that is already written.

Term already emulates many terminal modes and has a lot of features, but is oriented towards serial/modem connections. If we could replace its serial connectivity with SSH connectivity, in theory we'd have a very good SSH terminal.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Poland
Group:
Dev
@Neil

Hmm, shame to admit it but I know next to nothing about these things. What/Where is Term?

Posted on: 2016/8/17 9:57

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

Group:
If not mistaken then NCafferkey is talking about this term (sources).

Waaay back, when there was no internets people connected to for instance BBS with their modem. Term is a typical terminal that was used back in those days to connect to such BBS. It is usually a mix of a program that offers some functionality for the user (such as a phonebook, log management) as well as provided a sort of terminal to the user.

A term program uses the default serial device to connect to such bbs (or server) using a modem (direct connection when server was in the building was also possible), as well as offered different (compression) protocols to communicate f..i. to send/retrieve files. x, y and z modem are typical of such protocols.

That's about it. It is nothing more then a sort of shell that let the user interacts with the BBS it dialed (which offered a textual representation of menus, options etc).

Since there were many different computers out there all using their own specific terminals/shells most of these program also offered different terminal emulation modes. e.g. connecting to a unix server required a different terminal emulation-mode than connecting to your typical Amiga BBS.

The origin of the different terminal emulation modes find their way back in real hardware terminals that all offered specific features. A terminal is nothing more then a 'dumb' computer screen that could connect to a unix server.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 10:56

From US
Group:
Or other servers, mini-computers, and mainframes. The VT* terminal emulation protocols were developed by DEC, the father of very heavily used PDP and VAX/VMS systems.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 10:59

From Ireland
Group:
Quote:

deadwood wrote:
@Neil

Hmm, shame to admit it but I know next to nothing about these things. What/Where is Term?

Others did a good job on "what". Here's "where"
contrib/aminet/comm/term/term/Extras/Source/

Posted on: 2016/8/17 11:37

Group:

Posted on: 2016/8/17 12:00

From Poland
Group:
Dev
Thanks, I'll take a look at it! Would love to have something amigaish instead of *nixish ;)

Posted on: 2016/8/17 12:58

"There is no such thing as software for free. If it is not the user who covers the cost of software creation with money, it is the developer who covers this cost with his own free time."

www.aros3d.org
www.twitter.com/ddeadwood

Group:
omg, an ssh-client?! great news!

Posted on: 2016/8/26 16:30

Group:
umh, when I try to ssh I get:
PRIV_END: seteuid: Bad file descriptor

any suggestions?

Posted on: 12/19 16:49

Group:
umh...

In your ssh package there's a posixc.library that says it's version 0.3, and it's about 1.6MB in size.

I had followed your instructions, copying ssh's posixc.library to LIBS: (silently - AROS didn't tell me - overwriting AROS' posixc.library, see below).
After finding out that ssh didn't work for me (see my previous post) I deleted LIBS:posixc.library.

Now on booting AROS says "IPrefs: couldn't open posixc.library version 0 or higher" and "IPrefs: couldnt open png.library....".
(I never touched png.library.)

I found out there had already been a "posixc.library" in AROS' LIBS: directory, and restored it from the installation CD. It says it's version 0.3, and it's about 146kB in size.

Then I got even more "couldn't open posixc.library" and "... png.library" errors - on booting, and every time I click an icon on the desktop. popup-menu transparency is gone, window borders look like OS3.1.

Now after formatting and reinstalling system partition / core files / bootloader, it seems to work again.

Long story short:

please let's avoid having two different posixc-libraries with identical filenames and "version"-command output, one overwriting the other. should be fixed by either supplying the right/latest/most complete one with AROS in the first place, or renaming the one that's supplied with ssh.

Posted on: 12/20 11:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]