Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (3 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

DizzyOfCRN, mordesku, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Does Contrib ABI v1 build at the moment?

From England
Group:
Hi there,

I have been looking into Aros a bit just lately, running hosted on Ubuntu 17.10 x64. I prefer even on my 68k hardware to install clean rather than using a packaged distro so also being a developer I have been building from source.

'System' builds and runs fine (as far as I can tell) after I thought to look at the nightly build logs to double check my sanity on the configure flags. However contrib fails when building the port 'icu4u'.

Before I worry about posting build logs and things, is this known / to be expected at the moment or does it suggest something wrong at my end? It complains of a failed conversion from unsigned int to int. There are also some C++11 warnings about invalid suffixes on literals but it is the conversion that kills it. I did at one point fix the suffix warnings but it didn't help the build.

I am running an x86_64 host and have tried both i386 and x86_64 targets, both fail in the same place. I am specifying binutils 2.25 and gcc 6.3.0 the same as it would appear the nightly build is doing.

Happy to provide more detail if we think this is something that should work.

Ultimately at the moment I'm just trying to get a feel for things and whether there is anything I could help with or contribute on.

Martin.

Posted on: 5/29 15:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No Account
Re: Does Contrib ABI v1 build at the moment?
Guest_No Account
Yes, it should compile. Please post the tail of the log file (where it fails)

Posted on: 5/29 15:47

From England
Group:
just for the record, I'm not 100% confident I'm not doing something dumb!

Not sure how much of the output is needed so I've attached about the last 50 lines.

Here is my configure command:
/home/mart/Arosdev/src/configure --target=linux-x86_64 --with-binutils-version=2.25 --with-gcc-version=6.3.0 --enable-ccache --with-aros-toolchain-install=/home/mart/Arosdev/toolchain/x86_64 --with-portssources=/home/mart/Arosdev/src-ports --with-resolution=1440x900x24

I'm not at all sure on the need for the toolchain, or, more to the point if it has anything whatsoever to do with the failure. It's there because I was initially struggling and I ended up using the nightly build log as a reference.

Attach file:

log build.log Size: 9.96 KB; Hits: 14

Posted on: 5/29 17:09

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

MartinW wrote:
just for the record, I'm not 100% confident I'm not doing something dumb!

Not sure how much of the output is needed so I've attached about the last 50 lines.

Here is my configure command:
/home/mart/Arosdev/src/configure --target=linux-x86_64 --with-binutils-version=2.25 --with-gcc-version=6.3.0 --enable-ccache --with-aros-toolchain-install=/home/mart/Arosdev/toolchain/x86_64 --with-portssources=/home/mart/Arosdev/src-ports --with-resolution=1440x900x24

I'm not at all sure on the need for the toolchain, or, more to the point if it has anything whatsoever to do with the failure. It's there because I was initially struggling and I ended up using the nightly build log as a reference.

--with-aros-toolchain-install= is to build the toolchain separately from the main build and why you get the errors you see. By itself, It only should be used with "make crosstools".

To build AROS itself, using the prebuilt toolchain, you would need to issue configure a second time adding "--with-aros-toolchain=yes", and then issue make. For most people it is unnecessary - personaly I use the following to build AROS -:

../src/configure --target=linux-x86_64 --with-binutils-version=2.25 --with-gcc-version=6.3.0 --enable-debug=all --enable-ccache --with-portssources=/home/AROS/portssources

This works for all targets I have built, replacing the "target" with the desired one.

Posted on: 5/29 18:05

Edited by Kalamatee on 2018/5/29 18:26:38

From England
Group:
Thank you for the feedback. I'll start again with the configure advice and see where I get :)

Posted on: 5/29 18:59

Group:
Hi,

Kalamatee wrote:
Quote:

... personaly I use the following to build AROS -:

../src/configure --target=linux-x86_64 --with-binutils-version=2.25 --with-gcc-version=6.3.0 --enable-debug=all --enable-ccache --with-portssources=/home/AROS/portssources

This works for all targets I have built, replacing the "target" with the desired one.

OK, so apparently we do need to specify --target=linux-x86_64 for 64 hosted on Linux. But why are you telling configure what binutils and gcc you got? Isn't the trick that configure can find out such details by itself?

Bye,
Mysha

Posted on: 5/30 0:40

Group:
Quote:

Mysha wrote:
But why are you telling configure what binutils and gcc you got? Isn't the trick that configure can find out such details by itself?

aros builds its cross toolchain itself. currently the default is gcc-4.6.4 and bunutils-2.23. this is what gets built and used if you dont specify any version flags. but some of us tend to work on newer software like odyssey which demands newer features which demand newer compiler which also needs newer binutils. therefore it can be specified by those version flags. we are also trying to ensure backwards compatibility, legacy stuff to compile (correctly) with newer toolchain, in the process.

Posted on: 5/30 1:19

Group:
The build process also builds a cross compiler to build AROS binaries. So the specified gcc version is not the native gcc version, which configure could detect by itself, but the gcc version you want to be used for cross compiling. gcc 6.3.0 is not the default one (yet).

Posted on: 5/30 1:27

From England
Group:
So far removing the toolchain didn't help. Stuck at the same point but I am just trying a completely clean build having wiped out the build directory and started fresh. Will see what happens. Need to crack on with other things really.

On a different note I just snagged a very nice looking Aspire One ZG5 for very little money. Don't know why but it will be nice to play about with if nothing else.

Posted on: 5/30 3:22

From England
Group:
OK, removed the toolchain from configure. Deleted the entire build tree (with rm -rf) just to be sure. Ran configure, then make, then make contrib.

Fails at the same point.

I've attached the end of the current build log.

Here is the current config command:
/home/mart/Arosdev/src/configure --target=linux-x86_64 --with-binutils-version=2.25 --with-gcc-version=6.3.0 --enable-ccache --with-portssources=/home/mart/Arosdev/src-ports --with-resolution=1440x900x24

I figure I would add debugging support once I've got it building without and have worked out what I am going to do.

Do we need to make sure that I'm not doing anything stupid in the setup? For example I am cloning the git mirror and then using rsync to get the sources into the same order as they would be if I had checked out from SVN (contrib tree inside the source tree). I'm primarily doing this because I use git daily but it's been at least 6 years since I've used SVN so I'm rusty.

Attach file:

log build.log Size: 65.57 KB; Hits: 17

Posted on: 5/30 3:46

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.