Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

No Account
Anyway thank you kalamatee for all you have done!
Guest_No Account
No Offense.. I talked to kalamatee.. and his main Problem in SMP Development is that his 10 year old Hardware is nearly broken..

So a question to all.. what do you think if we gave Money to kalamatee from the AROS Fund so that he could buy a Core i9 and bring the AROS SMP Development forward!

Lets say we give kalamatee 1000 - 1500 $ so he could buy what he needs by himself to boost AROS Development..

kalamatee is stuck in an Atom Machine.. so let's help him to help us.

What do you think?

And kalamatee is absolutely trustworthy!

Let's do it guys!

Posted on: 6/11 20:18

Edited by AROS-Confidence1 on 2018/6/16 19:07:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Core i9 Development Hardware for kalamatee paid from the AROS Fund!

From Italy
Group:
I could donate something, I do not have great economic possibilities

Posted on: 6/12 2:18

Group:
Quote:

AROS-Confidence1 wrote:
No Offense..

Why would anybody take offense to a suggestion?

Quote:
I talked to kalamatee.. and his main Problem in SMP Development is that his 10 year old Hardware is nearly broken.. (...) kalamatee is stuck in an Atom Machine..

Yet, please correct me if I am wrong, he seems to have extremely specific restrictions regarding what hardware he would even consider accepting for development purposes.

Quote:
So a question to all.. what do you think if we gave Money to kalamatee from the AROS Fund so that he could buy a Core i9 and bring the AROS SMP Development forward! (...) Lets say we give kalamatee 1000 - 1500 $ so he could buy what he needs by himself to boost AROS Development..

I guess it is worth asking whether it is absolutely necessary to buy a chip from Intel's top of the line processor series.

Compared to an Atom machine, one would think that there are more economical choices to dramatically boost his productivity with regard to AROS development.

Quote:
so let's help him to help us.

Just to provide some context for others reading this proposal, Kalamatee has already been receiving regular financial support from the AROS community since at least 2017.

According to the Patreon website, he currently receives 108 USD per month.

The three public status reports Kalamatee has posted on Patreon since last year can be read here:
https://www.patreon.com/Kalamatee/posts

Posted on: 6/12 6:44

Group:
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:

Yet, please correct me if I am wrong, he seems to have extremely specific restrictions regarding what hardware he would even consider accepting for development purposes.
I guess it is worth asking whether it is absolutely necessary to buy a chip from Intel's top of the line processor series.

considering the size of the project and the number of involved target platforms i think that it is only reasonable and fair towards potential supporters not to compromise on performance of hardware to be collected and to be clear about it, that this performance proportionally translates to expected results.

partly or completely recompiling several targets under virtual machines many times a day, as well as testing different binaries in many cases under emulation makes me understand kalamatees demands pretty well.

Posted on: 6/12 7:13

Group:
I would suggest a new AMD Threadripper or EPYC instead - it it would be my new machine.
But that should be up entirely to Kalamatee - he knows best.

I am willing to donate a few bucks for this goal, if this is the way. Or should we just go via patreon? Or/and use some of the fund-money (but I have no say in this...)

Posted on: 6/12 7:36

From Norway
Group:
I will donate at least 50£

What I would like to know in this thread is how much people will donate.
That way we have some goal.
Does not matter if it is 5£. Just name what you can afford and we see how much we get.
I could keep track on the donations and how much with update here from time to time.
Maybe good to make similar thread on amigaworld?

I would not argue about what Kalamatee needs.
He explanied that before so lets just respect that.
From my point of view I never had problems with Intel but AMD is not same quality.

A-Siegel:

I get your point but considering Kalamatee use a lot of time working on AROS it is not exactly a god pay to recive 100$ a month.

Posted on: 6/12 7:55

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

A-Siegel wrote:
Quote:

AROS-Confidence1 wrote:
No Offense..

Why would anybody take offense to a suggestion?

Quote:
I talked to kalamatee.. and his main Problem in SMP Development is that his 10 year old Hardware is nearly broken.. (...) kalamatee is stuck in an Atom Machine..

Quote:
So a question to all.. what do you think if we gave Money to kalamatee from the AROS Fund so that he could buy a Core i9 and bring the AROS SMP Development forward! (...) Lets say we give kalamatee 1000 - 1500 $ so he could buy what he needs by himself to boost AROS Development..

Compared to an Atom machine, one would think that there are more economical choices to dramatically boost his productivity with regard to AROS development.

"any old machine" that is better than my atom, is not suitable. sure it would make me more productive than using the atom, but wouldn't provide the features I _need_ to debug and test code for the smp branch (and AROS in general).

You could race any old car in formula one, but you wouldn't achieve anything doing so. Sure it would get you round the track but that is not the point.

What you might find suitable for a machine doesn't mean it is suitable for my needs - and implying it should be is a bit ignorant to be frank.

p.s - I haven't said I need a chip from intels top of the end (i9) line - which are Xeon chips and wouldn't even be affordable with all the money in the fund. I need a high end core i7 though because of features that are in the chip that aren't in AMD chips (that massively help with debugging, particularly something as complex as the interactions that occur under smp) and because of the performance requirements needed to run multiple virtual machines/builds (we are talking 15+ builds of AROS at any one time to put it into context).

And to put it into perspective - kids use more powerful hardware just to play games.

Quote:

Quote:
so let's help him to help us.

Just to provide some context for others reading this proposal, Kalamatee has already been receiving regular financial support from the AROS community since at least 2017.

According to the Patreon website, he currently receives 108 USD per month.

The three public status reports Kalamatee has posted on Patreon since last year can be read here:
https://www.patreon.com/Kalamatee/posts

While I very much appreciate the donations people make to me, $109 translates to little over £60 a month, which doesn't even cover my rent for one week - and when I have 3 children also to provide for, it doesn't go far at all. It doesnt add anything to the context, but sounds like some kind of cheap dig suggesting that it should be more than enough to provide for my development needs.

Posted on: 6/12 7:59

Group:
Quote:

cybergorf wrote:
I would suggest a new AMD Threadripper or EPYC instead - it it would be my new machine.
But that should be up entirely to Kalamatee - he knows best.

Based on his statements on AROS Exec, he refuses to consider AMD hardware.

Posted on: 6/12 8:00

From Norway
Group:
A-Siegel: I also refuse to use AMD hardware. It is not trusty in my experience.
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Just as I refuse to use anything from Apple.
It is allowed for people to make their choise of what they like to use or will use.
It is kind of why we are here in the first place. We like to use Amiga like OS.

Posted on: 6/12 8:07

No Account
Guest_No Account
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
A-Siegel: I also refuse to use AMD hardware. It is not trusty in my experience.
I don't see anything wrong with that.
Just as I refuse to use anything from Apple.

I am not against AMD hardware, but certainly don't like the amount of heat generated by it or the cooling required. the point is they don't offer hardware features I need for debugging the code _period_ regardless of what peoples opinion is of AMD.

Posted on: 6/12 8:09

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.