Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
2 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 1

MobbyG, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

What we need and what we dream about for AROS

From dax (landes, france)
Group:
Hi,

A little topic to speak about what you think AROS need, from an end user point of view, and what you dream about for our OS.

Here's my little list ^^

NETWORKING :

Up to date network driver (to obtain 100% of speed instead of the current 1/3 speed)
Samba port (usefull to easily share multimedia files on the local network the easy way, especially with wonderfull software like AMC)
OWB morphos version (since it seems to be the more advanced one)
youtube compatibility (flash or at least HTML5)

RETRO GAMING

Transparent compatibility (you download or transfert the game, you clic on the adf or the WHDload file, and it works) with classic amiga games, with full speed and no frameskip, accurate sound, and all the video features (scaling, scalelines to keep the "old school" polished aspect, etc...)

WORKBENCH

Idea is to reach the Morphos/OS4 actual standard :

Compositing effects (and display 3d acceleration)
Improved Zune/MUI
Improved file manager (DOPUS is eficient, but end user drag and drop/right clic stuff should be easier and better)
real printer driver

SOFTWARE :

I believe if the workbench is improved, it will give more possibilities to port OS4 and MOS software, am I right ?

The other thing I'd love to see, is an "interpreter" (don't know the "tech" name for it) for linux software. Our aros machines are powerfull, and it would be great to see ports of Gimp, Inkscape, and Open office, for example.

Sounds like a christmas list ! lol

I'm already very surprised and happy with the project last advancements (good relatively fast native driver, screen drag, really good modern mediacenter -AMC-, wifi, USB, etc...), and now I wonder which new projects will appears next...

I thought about this topic reading devellopement forum : As I said, I'm just an end user. Typical amiga user...Back in the 90's. You turn on the computer, it works. I read things about memory protection and stuff like that, it seems really important, even if I don't know why.

I also take a look on bounty submissions : some of them sounds obsolete or at least, not prioritary (example, the eeepc bounty : we already have the aspire one compatibility; ports for powerpc when it's obvious future of embedded machins will be intel and arm, etc, etc...).

IN one word, I created this topic to see if there is other people seeing the project as I'm seeing it : not for technical demo or whatever, but a real solution for 2d or 3rd family computer.

I explain, most of us 's got a main computer (windows or sometimes linux) or mac. Then, most of us 's got a laptop, or a 2dn smaller pc used for hobbies(often the one we replaced with the new upgraded one, with a linux distro on it). And sometimes, people also own a tablet pc, or a small computer for the living room (desktop eeepc, small atom machine, etc...) for web browsing and multimedia (there again, often a linux distro or embedded os).

I strongly believe (staying quite realistic) than aros can become the core of the 2d or 3rd home computer.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 3:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What we need and what we dream about for AROS

Group:
@demether
Thanks for your post, good to think about user desires, even though development requirements take priority for now.

Quote:
The other thing I'd love to see, is an "interpreter" (don't know the "tech" name for it) for linux software. Our aros machines are powerfull, and it would be great to see ports of Gimp, Inkscape, and Open office, for example.

You mean like AmiCygnix on OS4?
AmiCygnix homepage

Quote:
Transparent compatibility (you download or transfert the game, you clic on the adf or the WHDload file, and it works) with classic amiga games, with full speed and no frameskip, accurate sound, and all the video features (scaling, scalelines to keep the "old school" polished aspect, etc...)

Isn't that what the recent UAE integration work achieved? JanusUAE has reached v1.0 now, it might not be completely what you're after, but isn't it close?

Quote:
Samba port

I agree, and also think read/write access to NTFS drives would be beneficial too.

Quote:
Improved Zune/MUI

In terms of the AROS userspace, this is what I'd like to see the most. This, and Emumiga.

I'm actually really happy with how AROS is progressing these days, plenty of work being done to clean up how the OS functions, and we've got some interesting features on the horizon. Every improvement feels like a bonus. Hope AROS will continue to inspire us to see the Amiga community can have a brighter future.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 4:33

From dax (landes, france)
Group:
Quote:
Isn't that what the recent UAE integration work achieved? JanusUAE has reached v1.0 now, it might not be completely what you're after, but isn't it close?

I don't know yet. My arosbox is under "pimp my computer" project so I can't try it. I just remember a few months ago, it was far from my needs (slow, complex to use, full screen problems, etc...). But I 'll try it tommorow when, the paint will be dry

Concerning zune and mui, I believe it will make MOS and OS4 ports easier ? I'm thinking about MOS OWB version, for example.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 5:10

From Norway
Group:
demether: you nailed most things. If we get all those mentioned we will for sure be a great alternative.

OWB update or Fabs version is for sure on top of my list.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 5:41

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

HenryCase wrote:
I agree, and also think read/write access to NTFS drives would be beneficial too.

This (IMHO) is one of the most important features we need to open up the real world to AROS

Quote:
Improved Zune/MUI

.. likewise

Posted on: 2011/5/15 14:08

Group:
64 Bit file system partitions over 2TB and file sizes over 4GB, with read and write cache.

64 Bit archiver/packer with files sizes over 4GB, full AROS/AmigaOS protection bit support, well integrated view and export function for Wanderer.

Integrated file Manager Wanderer should have an integrated file manager.

Unicode support for file system, Wanderer and applications with additional API functions for this new feature an as much as possible backwards compatibility for the AOS3.1 API.

Better Network Support more drivers for WiFi/Wlan, GB-Ethernet and a good integration of SMB and FTP into Wanderer and Filemanager.

Software and Libraray manager database for software library and Zune classes management.

Network/USB/File Printer Support Support for PostScript PCL3(or better) and PDF printing support via lpd(TCP/IP), Samba and USB.

Applications, Applications and Applications maybe i forgot applications.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 14:57

From Los Angeles, CA
Group:
Firefox for Aros. 90% of my computer use is internet now so any improvement to that would be great and make it more of a daily usable os. Being able to access my Amazon cloud (and have it all work) would be awesome.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 10:12

From Colorado, USA
Group:
For the last stage of retrogaming emulation perfection, I proposed a Copper-list to fragment shader translator. This thread was the start of it. I solicited some OS 4 users' opinions on it at this Amigans.net thread. Then I put a post on this bounty wishlist post and it languished without any further feedback.

I think that perfect chipset emulation of the AGA chipset is presently out-of-reach but would be easier if somebody who knows Gallium3D driver support would take on the bounty I proposed.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 16:34

Group:
tommywright i buy your option is well but not sure about the Firefox as long as any browser lets me hotmail/gmail/facebook/online banking/flash/ and OpenOffice does fills into office needs and if we can get to stage where we got them 2 than we are at the stage shine on aros with full mui4 on zune and solid wanderer.

and again thats not a wish or dream for a day zzzzZZz.. mmm will happen someday...

Posted on: 2011/5/17 1:18

From Germany
Group:
Stop dreaming. Wake up and learn coding

Posted on: 2011/5/17 2:49

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.