Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Startup sounds

Group:
Hi

I know this may seem unimportant to our devs out there but I think it is nice from a user perspective for an OS to audibly announce it is ready to work on reboot.

So as most seem to have a start sound, can we have one too please, not a big job really, although the sound will be.

Anybody wants to code the player, build a gui to set the sound or maybe add to the wanderer setting panel please say hello, I have code you can use for playback in the Quick Recorder code that is now open source.

Also the choice of sound for the default is important so any musicians out there want a stab, Nikos maybe. Remember it needs to be an OS start sound, so not sure about wailing guitars.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 2:32

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Startup sounds

Group:
I used to do something similar back in the day, except i had a whole song that played as soon as the amiga started booting and didnt stop till the song was finished.

didnt need a gui either, looked something like this in the startup-sequence

c:playsound music:samples/bootsound.iff

BTW. if they are implemented they should be disabled by default.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:07

Group:
@clusteruk
Equally importantly it must come with an easy way to turn it off without needing the user edit the startup file or replace the sample with a silent one

I really don't like startup sounds for OS's or devices and the first thing I always do is disable then I setup a new computer or phone is disable the startup sound.

That's not to say it would not also be nice to have the option for users who do like to have a startup sound, or find it useful as long as you can easily disable it from the same prefs GUI that lets you select the sound.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 3:52

From Sweden
Group:
Good idea, it will make AROS even more feature-complete.

A quick n simple implementation would
be to do a check in startup-sequence
for a ENVARC:startupsound.iff or
ENV:startupsound.wav and if either exists, play it.
There has to be a command line sample player
for AROS...

Posted on: 2012/2/20 7:59

Guest_
Yeah, easy as pie. Just add a line to user startup to launch a sound. We already have everything needed. User just needs to add a line to s:user-startup to specify the sound they want. ARAMP should do the job fine, although youre restricted to mp3s. Id be surprised if there was no alternatives supporting other file formats too. If not feel free to find something suitable and I'll compile it, but being that it's not really my sort of thing I couldnt be bothered searching myself :)

edit: not really suitable as a default sound, and not really something I use anyway, but I kinda like the idea of a flatline noise leading into a heatbeat noise, followed by a mad scientist proclaiming, "it's alive!!" for startup and hearbeat, followed by flatline noise for shut down.
Fun, silly, and not the typical boring, cliche, generic sounds that seem to be the norm for OS startup/shutdown sounds these days.

edit2: heh, cool, just noticed I was over a thousand posts here now, hadnt noticed until now. Unfortunately I dont think I'm likely to ever quite make it into the top10 posters on the front page though :)

Posted on: 2012/2/20 8:29

Edited by fishy_fis on 2012/2/20 8:50:30
Edited by fishy_fis on 2012/2/20 8:53:26

Group:
Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
edit2: heh, cool, just noticed I was over a thousand posts here now, hadnt noticed until now. Unfortunately I dont think I'm likely to ever quite make it into the top10 posters on the front page though :)

/me warns Kalamatee he needs to post more... rofl :D Okay enough off topic posts from me. :)

Posted on: 2012/2/20 9:59

Group:
Hold your horses!

I'm almost done with a 'C:Play' that uses datatypes.library to play sounds.

Should only be a few Kb in size, and uses the existing datatypes.library.

It's a lot like C:Print that I wrote last week.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 10:40

Group:
@all

I know a simplay play command could go in startup-sequence but a small addition to the wanderer prefs with a sound selector would look so much better and there is loads of room on the panel.

As I mentioned a lot of people hate them but equeally a lot like them, but it just adds an air of completeness to novice users which we need to encourage.

Steve

Posted on: 2012/2/20 12:30

No Account
Guest_No Account
@ clusteruk: I had thought about using a sound plugin with wanderer that would be able to play a sample for any of the events wandererer exposes (as part of the plugin api) using datatypes - however I never started on it mostly because of how fickle this community is. I can hear the "not amiga like" etc cries already xD

But yeah I had wanted to do something along those lines ..

As for a sound to play - most suitable "riffs" consist of only 3 or 4 notes. Ultimately youll never please everyone so make sure the sound scheme is changable and not hard coded.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 13:43

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
What about a little program/iconX script in the WBStartup? Easy to disable - just drag it out/delete it.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Posted on: 2012/2/20 13:55

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.