Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

A few AROS impressions....

From Munich/Germany
Group:
Last week I came back to using AROS, after a two years hiatus after I got a Macbook Pro in 2010.

I installed Icaros on Virtual Box, which was pretty easy to do.

My impressions:

* The whole installing sequence is really user friendly by now, I think.

* The whole system feels a lot more stable than before. System crashes happen, but not that often anymore.

* I really like the fact, that we have a file lister in Wanderer now. Makes AROS feel so much more modern and useful for me. The lack of a file lister was one of my biggest gripes with AROS before, so it's awesome to have one now.

* It's generally nice to be back to "Amigaland", stuff feels like home, somehow. Especially the whole CLI/Shell thing is awesome. ASSIGNS rock.

* Coming from other OSes, I think the lack of a left hand AMIGA key for doing key combos is weird and user unfriendly. Maybe a commodity could be written for that? I really don't understand what the left Amiga key is for in these days where everybody has a mouse or touchpad.

* Personally, I think the whole standard look of Icaros could be more modern, somehow. The system, as it is, looks quite "1995" to me, but i concur, that other people might like it like that.

* Lying in bed, having the flu for a few days, I was having lots time to be able to tinker around abit, and was surprised how costumizable everything is, but it's funny, on how many places you need to tweak shit, to get results. The Wanderer window, for instance, is a combination of "Theme", "Wanderer" prefs and Zune Prefs.
I'd love to see a "whole Theme" switcher, which changes all these things for you in one swipe. Maybe a coding project for me? Let's see.

* My biggest issue: There is still no up-to-date Text Editor in AROS.

Let me explain.

--- Jano Editor and Annotate is weird with selecting text. These days, you should be able to use SHIFT for selecting text. MURKS does it, but has other problems.

--- Jano uses rAMIGA+W for saving, Annotate rAMIGA+S. For these kind of things, there seems to be no standard on Amiga. On Murks, you can only save a file by pressing a MUI-button on the top. Weird.

--- Annotate can color code text, but has problems with selecting blocks of code. Erasing block can only be done with rAmiga+x, but not with the delete key. Once again, weird.

--- One of them (i think maybe murks or annotate) cannot use TAB for shifting text.

--- None of them is able to display line numbers on the side.

I think coding on AROS is really held back by the lack of a proper text editor with modern usability features.
I don't even ask for IDE-features. Just a plain, working Text Editor for coding.

But other than that, I am really impressed how far AROS has come.

Once more, kudos to everybody involved, you are doing a great job.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 1:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A few AROS impressions....

From Nürnberg, Deutschland
Group:
Great to see you here in the growing community

I think it is fun to participate in the project and to realize your own ideas without asking companies or teams if you are allowed to do.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 1:36

Group:
Hi Steril707,

and welcome back. Glad you (more or less) enjoy aros

Didn't we have this kind of discussion earlier ?

Quote:
--- Jano uses rAMIGA+W for saving, Annotate rAMIGA+S. For these kind of things, there seems to be no standard on Amiga.

Thats why (in annotate) i changed it into ctr+s, just like i'm used to (config/hotkeys/select action/edit)

I did the same for copy-cut-paste (ctrl+c, ctrl+x, ctrl+v)

Quote:
--- Annotate can color code text, but has problems with selecting blocks of code. Erasing block can only be done with rAmiga+x, but not with the delete key.

(config/editor/tick delete key deletes selection)

Quote:
--- One of them (i think maybe murks or annotate) cannot use TAB for shifting text.

That could not be annotate with zillions of tab-options

regards,

Posted on: 2012/9/10 1:40

From Munich/Germany
Group:
@ OlafS3: Yeah, it's a really nice community here. Looking forward contributing a couple of small things... ;)

@ Magorium: Thanks for the hints. :) I enjoy AROS a lot, and with these things you mentioned I will enjoy it even more now... :)

Posted on: 2012/9/10 1:45

From Finland
Group:
@Steril707

Quote:

* Coming from other OSes, I think the lack of a left hand AMIGA key for doing key combos is weird and user unfriendly. Maybe a commodity could be written for that? I really don't understand what the left Amiga key is for in these days where everybody has a mouse or touchpad.

You can do that with AmigaKeyRemapper:
http://archives.aros-exec.org/index.p ... igakeyremap.i386-aros.rar

At least it worked last time I tested it on AROS.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:24

Group:
@salass00
Eej, i forgot about that one

@all
Before he (Steril707) knows it, he has not any excuse left of not using aros

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:31

From Munich/Germany
Group:
Haha, awesome. Thank you guys, that tool's perfect for me... :)

Will try it out at home. If that works, would be great. :)

@Paolone: If you are reading here. how do you think about an option in Icaros to use that Amigakeyswapper? Like the option to use aWin (which is great as well).

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:56

Group:
@Steril

There's not been any option to use Awin anymore for years. It has been replaced by an extended use of Fkey commodity. AmigaKeyRemapper should be available in the distro as well.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 3:54

From Munich/Germany
Group:
@Paolone: Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know we don't use awin anymore for that. Anyway, works like a charm.

And for the amigakeyswapper, will look out for it.

Any chance to make that default? What are the objections to that?

Posted on: 2012/9/10 4:00

From Stockholm, Sweden
Group:
Aros is great fun, isn't it! There are several stuff I want for AROS too, but we have to remember that it's still mostly Alpha.

I would like a "copyicon" function (so the information in the icon is saved even after a copy). I would also like an "addicon" function. And like you said, a "Theme changer" that handles everything from looks of the menu to icons etc.

But until someone makes this (or I learn how to do it myself) I'm trying to be patient :)

Posted on: 2012/9/10 4:41

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]