Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Aros on A1000 - now what?

Group:
So, I copied the adf included in AmigaForever and started the diskette.

I get to the this point - see picture - I click on the icons but nothing happens.

What I am doing wrong?

Attach file:

jpg  05-15-16_1206.jpg (85.86 KB)
5750_573a66060592f.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/5/16 17:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Aros on A1000 - now what?

Group:
307k + 71k.... somehow i don't think that is going to work.

tbh, i don't even know if it is possible to run AROS on an A1000.

Posted on: 2016/5/17 21:45

Group:
Yeah. I saw that. The A1000 actually has 512K chip RAM (256+256) and 1.5MB slow RAM.

I do know where all that RAM went.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 17:04

Group:
afaik at least 512k is necessary to be able to get it kickstarted.

But, AROS requires 'a bit' more memory than 1.5 MB. You have to think a bit along the line of tenths of MB's.

My native AROS box eats 1 gig in a jiffy. Yes comparing apples with oranges, but still.

What you could attempt is to try AROS on something like WinUAE/FS-UAE or whatever UAE that supports AROS, using settings that are known to work and strip your way down in order to check how low one can get.

edit:
Oh... i just noticed *duh* you are already running workbook

Now to figure out how to get things more convenient. The UAE testing advise still stands though as that allows you to figure out what minimum requirements you would need in order to get a (more) convenient setup that works for your case.

fwiw: you are not doing anything wrong (other then having a bit underpowered hardware). The floppy disk is there to allow hardware that doesn't boot from cd-rom getting access to contents of a cd-rom (or other device) so you can install AROS.

The chip-mem limitation poses a problem though. It would be more convenient to have a graphics card. Anything 'more' then specs already mentioned is better.

Posted on: 2016/5/18 17:14

Edited by magorium on 2016/5/18 17:52:32

Group:
@Nonefornow

Apart from the memory/CPU requirements, AROS needs a lot of work to configure 'out of the box'. It's better to start with a distro like AROS Vision, although chances are it'll have a few too many bells & whistles for low-end Amigas to handle. WinUAE/FS-UAE or at least heavily expanded classic is the better bet for now.

Note that there's a few 68k bounties on power2people which you could support. AROS on classic Amigas will hopefully see a lot more optimisation and improvement in the next few years as things like the Vampire cards are attracting people back to the classics.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 1:24

Group:
Unfortunately I do not have a HD with the A1000 so I have to rely on disks only.

I suspect the Amiga Forever emulation will work.

I did not try - I would prefer to run AROS on actual hardware.

Posted on: 2016/5/19 7:56

Group:
aros needs 6,5mb or something like that if you want to boot to wanderer. as this is obviously workbook it might work on given config, however a plain 68000 is a very low spec speedwise. may take ages that something happens, maybe even mouse events are not being registered properly. i dont know.

however, first of all i wouldnt use aros included in uae or amigaforever, as it is certainly not up to date. if you really want, grab your floppy images here:
http://aros.sourceforge.net/de/download2.php

Posted on: 2016/5/20 5:05

Group:
Even thought the warning states

"These builds are experimental and not for general consumption."

I'll give it a try. Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 16:32

Group:
Quote:

Unfortunately I do not have a HD with the A1000 so I have to rely on disks only.

Sorry to sound harsh here but imho that is making things a completely pointless excersise

Quote:

I suspect the Amiga Forever emulation will work.

That is not why it was suggested (and yes, AROS runs perfectly fine on emulators). You missed the point that emulation makes it possible for you to figure out what minimum requirements are needed for you to have AROS running the way you want to.

But, please feel free to conclude these things from practise on your native hardware. It will only take you more time that way.

Quote:

I did not try - I would prefer to run AROS on actual hardware.

And you are already doing that, leaving you with things the way they are.

I don't want to shatter your idea's but even for amiga standards, these specifications you mention are way to low to be able to do something usefull. There are (ported) projects that take up more disk-space then you would ever be able to fit on a floppy disk just to name an example.

Quote:

The 'problem' with amiga forever CD/DVD's is that they are produced once every "fill in whatever release scheme amiga forever authors fancy" and as such they are a static 'snapshot'.

It is almost certain that there are fixes, improvements and other things available on/in the nightly download. Yes, the downside is that sometimes a nightly does not get build at all or crashes when attempting to boot/use.

In the latter case, please wait a few days and try again (with a newer nightly) and in case the issue is persistent: please feel free to report so that a developer might be able to have a look at it.

I would most certainly suggest to at least upgrade your hardware. Even with a HD, SCSII hd's and about 100MB of memory memory, AROS runs a bit like shite on standard hardware (an accelerator is preferred).

And to make sure the above statement does not get 'abused' for AROS bashing: no, it has nothing to do with AROS itself, rather with some of the software being used. Using MUI on the same hardware runs as equally shite and the HD's are slow as moleasses compared to modern days standards.

So, unless you have got a pretty good reason to want to attempt to run AROS this way, i would not recommend using AROS rather stick with some (older) workbench.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 17:41

Group:
Quote:

Nonefornow wrote:

aros68k as such is aros v1, which is under construction, your amigaforever version is just a snapshot of it. aro68k is experimental, that is true, you may experience problems, and thats why the warning is there. but apparently you want to experiment with it.

Posted on: 2016/5/20 18:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.