Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
3 user(s) are online (2 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 2
Guests: 1

amiga, trekiej, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 26 »

Odyssey web browser future

From Norway
Group:
We have a fantastic web browser. It is still a program that needs to be updated from time to time.
As most might know Deadwood did this fantastic port from Fabs MorphOS version + added some nice stuff and optimised for i386.
Are there some people here that are willing to pay Deadwood some money to update with latest webkit version?

I'm not taking adding or fixing whatever like youtube, video not working perfect with the browser. This is just an update to the engine.

I'm thinking I could ask Deadwood if we give let's say 500 Euro he could do it.

I'm in with 150 Euro. Only 350 Euro left ;)

Not saying he will do it but I will try and for sure nothing has to be paid before he accepts.

The project is here.

https://github.com/deadwood-pl/OdysseyWebBrowser

If he don't have time or like to do it someone else could be interested.

Looks like this is what we have now.

-- Based on r161078 WebKit (January 2014) (1.24) / r185045 WebKit (May 2015) (1.25)
+- Based on r161078 WebKit (January 2014) (1.24) / r187682 WebKit (July 2015) (1.25)

Posted on: 2/6 2:29

Re: Odyssey web browser future

From Germany
Group:
Count me in with 20 €!

Posted on: 2/6 3:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Sweden
Group:
I would also throw in 20 in the project

Posted on: 2/6 4:42

Group:
If deadwood will do it, then coint me in with another 100$

Posted on: 2/6 5:08

Join us to port dopus5 to amigang platforms here

From Italy
Group:
I offer 50 euros for the first day of next month

hi all

Posted on: 2/6 7:37

From Norway
Group:
This is great response guys. I will try to contact Deadwood. I'm comfortable we will at least get 500 Euro. Let's cross our fingers he will do it.
As said this is a matter or updating the engine (webkit version) and not new features or fixing of anything that did not work as expected before etc. etc.
To me this does not sound to complicated but I'm not the right guy to say something about that. Maybe Kas1e could fill in about it?

Posted on: 2/6 8:24

From West Midlands, UK
Group:
I'd happily put in 100 euro - that's the cost of a new copy of Hollywood and I feel something as complex as OWB deserves be funded at that professional software level.

To secure future development, maybe new versions should be commercial, sold with a key like Hollywood. Users then purchase future updates at a lower cost (typically for a major update to Hollywood is half the price of the first purchase) as a tangeable reward to the developer for the ongoing work of refreshing the codebase. Possibly a crippled version (e.g. only works for ten minutes a time or only one window at a time or no downloading facility or no SSL or some combination of these or other limitations) could be included in Icaros to give new users a taster and encourage them to invest in the full version.

This would be a bit of a bancing act. You could argue that purchasing a browser, which is free on other operating systems, could put people off using AROS, but would this route providing an up-to-date browser not be better than having a free one which is not updated and falls further and further behind over time? The latter could be a more negative experience to new users.

Cheers,
Nigel.

P.S. There are some very intersting comments here looking beyond the Amiga pond. Now, I think that thread and the other one on cooperation between the camps over on AmigaWorld clearly indicate there is no real hope of that cooperation ever happening, with just too many vested interests, entrenched positions and permanent negativity. I wonder though if there is any scope for cooperation with the other 'alternative' OSs?

I could be totoally wrong on how possible this is, but could a core system be put together around Webkit with the individual OS's developers then adding their system specific parts? NetSurf, for example, is not just for AmigaOS but also has a Risc OS version. I just wonder if there was a 'consortium' of alt-OS developers working on the project if it might be a bit easier to maintain it.

Posted on: 2/6 10:35

Edited by ntromans on 2018/2/6 10:58:06

Group:
krzysztof took his leave and i fear he doesnt want to be bothered, especially with some bigger amounts of work.

i think we need to honour this, but go on and try if you must.

i have been looking into compiling odyssey with aros toolchain (for x86 abi v1). im currently stuck at 16%.

Posted on: 2/6 10:49

From Norway
Group:
Thank you guys :)
I have now sent Deadwood e-mail. I only have one e-mail to him that I hope he still read.

Lets hope for a possitive answer.

I said to him that he don't need to come here and post if he don't like. This is a professional offer from me for his services and I will do the beta testing if needed.

edit: At least the e-mail did not come in return so that is a possitive sign ;)

I also told him if the amount of work is not worth the money I can try to collect more. As said before I have no idea how difficult or time consuming it would be to do this.

Posted on: 2/6 11:52

From Norway
Group:
@ntromans

Not a bad idea and if Deadwood accept this offer it could for sure be possible like you said for future versions and secure development.

I realy, realy hope Deadwood can help us out with this one and see it as a job. As said I have no idea how much work it is and everything should be possible if the money is right.

Looking at webkit it is updated maybe once a week.

https://webkitgtk.org/releases/

Posted on: 2/6 12:02

(1) 2 3 4 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.