Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
1 user(s) are online (1 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 1

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Bounty system

From Norway
Group:
There been talks of how to attract developers to do stuff.
The bounty system is not good in the way that you lock your money to something that might never be done.
On the other hand it also got things done in the past.

Finding someone to do a task and agree upon the amount and collect is a safe way get something done.

Other popular way is with the Kickstarter project.

Set a date collect and if not met money is given back.

I for sure don't like to spend more on the bounty system.

Your thoughts are welcome. There are some stuff we should start to get someone to do like updated, new TCP/IP stack.

Posted on: 5/12 11:33

Re: Bounty system

From Malaysia
Group:
As a new developer, I have been checking the commits logs and there are very few active developers. There just isn't enough developer right now, so we need to be able to attract more people.

The only other OS open source project I have some knowledge on is FreeBSD. I talked to one of the device driver manager who travels around talking at FOSS conferences actively recruiting developers. Developers who are interested are brought in, mentored. Even as an experienced developer, you have to be to have that sort of support to get working on things.

What I am going to be doing is trying to actively recruit at my local Universities and through FOSS conferences/meetups. It will take me a while to be able to fix even simple bugs in the AROS code, so I am going to try to be useful where I can like documentation.

We also need to make sure a forum like this is accessible. I am sure the admin of AROS-EXEC is busy but registration was broken and it took me over 2 weeks of writing emails, posting on facebook to even get in. Somebody less determined would have probably given up.

I personally think focusing on finishing ABIV1 should the primary focus then getting AROS to be stable both hosted and native.(And supporting distro makers) I think updating a new TCP/IP stack right now would be incredible frustrating and I am think the one that is there now seems to work fine. I think more network drivers are needed.

Posted on: 5/13 0:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Norway
Group:
Terenctb: Great post and thank you for the interest in AROS.

We for sure need more devs and I hope you can help in that regard.

Posted on: 5/13 3:12

Group:
Hi,

Regarding the Bounty system: Bounty systems exist because, unless you're part of a patron system (like a job), it's difficult to match up skill and time with a reward for time spent
Any bounty system will suffer from (Erm, how not to assume the worst?) the Tibet problem. If it's pay-on-completion, then the person who went to Tibet for seven years can't be asked to pay up; if it's request-and-pay then that same traveller can't be reached when the request becomes void through changing circumstances.
Some systems are better in handling this than others. If the current system is not really good in handling this, are we able to update the system? How? And what could we do about bounties that are stuck in their wait for the Day of Days?

Are there any bounties that are stuck? If so, which, and is there a way to indicate that a bounty is now in disfavour?

Regarding the recruiting of developers: What problems does the new developer face at the moment? Are these organic, or are they organisational?

Mysha

Posted on: 5/13 3:46

From Sweden
Group:
I believe that the biggest hurdle to attract new developers is that it's very hard to get started. I've heard of people wanting to help applying but never get any response.

I believe using git + github would make it easier for new people to make contributions to the project as a whole. I understand it's not an easy task to just move over from Subversion, since most developers on the project already knows how to use this.

As it is, the project is pretty locked down.

Another "clone OS" decided to move from SVN to Git recently, ReactOS: https://www.reactos.org/project-news/r ... epository-migrated-github

They decided that this is the best way forward to "greatly improve the way we collaborate on development and reduce the barriers for newcomers".

That's just my opinion though, but I think the developers of AROS should consider this as a way to move forward with the project and possibly attract more developers in the process.

Posted on: 5/14 3:33

Edited by Marlon on 2018/5/14 4:04:17

From SF Bay Area, California
Group:
@marlon I agree, it is tough to start.

Moving to github would be helpful. Making changes visible through the pull-request process would help offer some insight.

The documentation on sourceforge is very readable for the most part. Is the AROS wikibook maintained? There's some gems of information tucked away there but generally it appears to be a mind-dump that I suspect is mostly out of date. Is there anything that should be merged back into the main documentation? Should it be killed to eliminate multiple conflicting sources of information?

Working on an operating system is a difficult problem.

As a suggestion, is anybody willing and able take on a Developer Outreach type role? I see the following needs:
* communicating an up-to-date roadmap, especially areas that need work
* encouraging new developers and ensuring "getting started" documentation is up to date
* following-up on new developers after some short time to see if they're stuck or lost in some way
* ensuring documentation is up to date
* connecting new developers with a willing mentor

What does everyone think?

Posted on: 5/14 7:40

Edited by remotenemesis on 2018/5/14 8:23:08

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

Marlon wrote:
I believe that the biggest hurdle to attract new developers is that it's very hard to get started. I've heard of people wanting to help applying but never get any response.

I believe using git + github would make it easier for new people to make contributions to the project as a whole. I understand it's not an easy task to just move over from Subversion, since most developers on the project already knows how to use this.

As it is, the project is pretty locked down.

Another "clone OS" decided to move from SVN to Git recently, ReactOS: https://www.reactos.org/project-news/r ... epository-migrated-github

They decided that this is the best way forward to "greatly improve the way we collaborate on development and reduce the barriers for newcomers".

That's just my opinion though, but I think the developers of AROS should consider this as a way to move forward with the project and possibly attract more developers in the process.

You are aware there is a git mirror of the repo yes? The reason we have stuck with svn is because any of the other versioning tools developers ‘prefer to use’ support accessing svn, however they do not support each other.

Posted on: 5/14 8:29

From Scotland "The Cold"
Group:
Quote:

remotenemesis wrote:
@marlon I agree, it is tough to start.

Moving to github would be helpful. Making changes visible through the pull-request process would help offer some insight.

It would make no difference, being that there is already a github mirror of the repo. Moving the base repository there is not an option due to legalities of reverse engineering, etc, used to develop parts of AROS. Also, we constantly here people want ‘their’ preferred option to be the one that is used - when that is not what the existing devs are comfortable with, and having to use something more complex/requiring all devs to relearn or change how they work isn’t helpful or productive ... it actually turns them away.

Quote:

The documentation on sourceforge is very readable for the most part. Is the AROS wikibook maintained? There's some gems of information tucked away there but generally it appears to be a mind-dump that I suspect is mostly out of date. Is there anything that should be merged back into the main documentation? Should it be killed to eliminate multiple conflicting sources of information?

It was as well written when I originally wrote it, but since then people have just chucked in their own nonsense and made it a complete mess. That’s one of the problems we now have - where people ignore how things have been done, and just so what they want.

Quote:

Working on an operating system is a difficult problem.

As a suggestion, is anybody willing and able take on a Developer Outreach type role? I see the following needs:
* communicating an up-to-date roadmap, especially areas that need work
* encouraging new developers and ensuring "getting started" documentation is up to date
* following-up on new developers after some short time to see if they're stuck or lost in some way
* ensuring documentation is up to date
* connecting new developers with a willing mentor

What does everyone think?

We do not have the man power to do this anymore. I’n the past we had devs willing to do this, but there was a lack of support or interest from places that provide the resources/exposure needed (e.g gsoc etc)

Posted on: 5/14 8:43

From SF Bay Area, California
Group:
All points... but how to grow the number of developers?

Posted on: 5/14 8:50

From Sweden
Group:
Quote:

Kalamatee wrote:
You are aware there is a git mirror of the repo yes? The reason we have stuck with svn is because any of the other versioning tools developers ‘prefer to use’ support accessing svn, however they do not support each other.

I am aware of the git mirror, but you can't really do pull requests to a mirror, right? Which completely defeats the purpose of git. Or does the mirror work both ways?

Posted on: 5/14 8:52

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.