Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
23 user(s) are online (18 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 17 »

ScaleOS

From Norway
Group:
I got this mail from Jürgen. Who like to port it ?

Hi Nikos,

I'm totally open for a Scalos port to AROS.
However, personally I currently don't have much spare time for Scalos development, so don't expect too much support from me.
As a first step, I might give you SVN access to the Scalos repository so you could get an overview what's currently present and how porting to AROS could be performed best. I also could imagine giving up the current closed-source state of Scalos and making it open source.
What's your idea about how to proceed?

Posted on: 2011/6/5 6:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ScaleOS
Guest_
This would be very nice to have for AROS. Wasnt there some sort of bounty though a while ago, but with some sort of condition attached ? My memory is a little vague, but Im sure an AROS port of ScalOS has been mentioned before ? That said though, this mail you received sounds as though it may make the current bounty (assuming Im not mistaken about that) redundant.

Having said this I'd still like Wanderer to remain the main AROS desktop. A little choice cant hurt, and Wanderer needs a little work yet before it offers he sort of functionailty ScalOS does.

Just my 2 cents :)

Posted on: 2011/6/5 7:52

From Germany
Group:
Yes, there is a open bounty ($107.00): http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/19

A port of Scalos to AROS with as target an archive that can be used to install the software. The following tasks need to be done:

Adapt build environment to work with AROS (cross)compiler.
Port main program and support libraries
Port Plugins, Modules and datatypes
Port support programs like prefs programs (possibly improve Zune to work with the Scalos MUI programs). - Remove possible endianness problems
Make installing as easy as possible. (I don t think we have already a working replacement for the installer program, so it has to be installed in another way).

License: Closed source, however, premission has been given to add binaries to AROS SVN and to AROS Distros.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 8:38

Group:
Quote:

Hurrican wrote:
Yes, there is a open bounty ($107.00): http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/19

A port of Scalos to AROS with as target an archive that can be used to install the software. The following tasks need to be done:

Adapt build environment to work with AROS (cross)compiler.
Port main program and support libraries
Port Plugins, Modules and datatypes
Port support programs like prefs programs (possibly improve Zune to work with the Scalos MUI programs). - Remove possible endianness problems
Make installing as easy as possible. (I don t think we have already a working replacement for the installer program, so it has to be installed in another way).

License: Closed source, however, premission has been given to add binaries to AROS SVN and to AROS Distros.

This has been proposed on the mail list a few time but up to now no volunteer(s) were found to do the port. BTW, I did the original port to OS4 and wrote the bounty text. If anybody volunteers I can certainly help him going.

greets,
Staf.

Posted on: 2011/6/5 10:36

From Norway
Group:
Scalos for AROS would be a perfect match! Scalos is lightweight and would suit all AROS flavors, even the 68k port

Also Scalos is my preferred choice when using OS3.1 (ClassicWB)

Since Scalos is ported to OS4 and MorphOS, the code should already be quite easy to port? (No 68k assembler in there?)

I for one will donate some money if the bounty is taken!

Posted on: 2011/6/5 11:31

From Germany
Group:
Quote:

nikolaos wrote:
I also could imagine giving up the current closed-source state of Scalos and making it open source.
What's your idea about how to proceed?

It would be great to have it with an Open Source license. I have currently no time for a port. (maybe in my August hollyday). But I could already set up a project page on Sourceforge.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 3:58

From Norway
Group:
@mazze

[quote]
I have currently no time for a port. (maybe in my August hollyday). But I could already set up a project page on Sourceforge.
[quote]

Please do Scalos going open source is an opportunity we must act upon

Posted on: 2011/6/8 8:09

Group:
If somebody takes this up, I will add £100 to the donations pot. This is not a bad comment about Wanderer, just that it seems more complete and could make all the difference for Aros and its further uptake.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 8:41
http://www.amiga25.org

Group:
Maybe, if the owner of ScaleOS allows it, it can be used to help complete Wanderer. I would hate to see all the work that had been done on it and the "module" stuff currently being worked be abandoned. Just a thought.

Dave

Posted on: 2011/6/8 13:22

From Norway
Group:
Yes it could help complete Wanderer. I been thinking the same.
It could at least not do any bad to anything. Even if Kalamatee can not make any use of the scaleos code, it would be an alternative nothing else. I'm pretty sure Wanderer will be better than scaleos by time, but until that time comes I feel we need a real usefull workbench replacement. At present time Wanderer lacks some basic functionality that everyone would expect for a OS. That is first of all when it comes to file management.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:18

(1) 2 3 4 ... 17 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]