Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
33 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forum)

Members: 4
Guests: 29

Kernel-Trap, Methanoid, 4pLaY, phoenixkonsole, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

OWB & html5 - bringing OWB up to date!

From Germany
Group:
What about a OWB Bounty? Making OWB ready for html5 to display pages like this: http://www.wab.com/?screen=0

Bounty requests: speed up OWB and make it ready for html5!

That would be cool!

Posted on: 2011/11/30 12:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: OWB & html5 - bringing OWB up to date!

Group:
@QBit
Better to port Odyssey Web Browser (the new name for MOS-OWB) to AROS, as this means we can benefit from improvements made to the code in the wider Amiga community. Odyssey already has some HTML5 support.

However, doing this port would require improving Zune (if don't wish to fork the code base), which is something we've already talked about, and there are a number of bounties for, this being the main one:
http://www.power2people.org/projects/profile/61

What I'm saying to you is, improve Zune first, then the browser updates will be easier to come by.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 13:40

From Norway
Group:
This is kind of difficult. I don't see anyone steping up to take the zune MUI bounty in the near future. Personaly I think a kind of fork of Odyssey might be the best option.
Could we in teori use the OWB GUI we have now with Odyssey web enigine etc ?

I for sure think this is something we must start to focus on now. We simply have talked this topic almost to death.

I would like to start a bounty called "Port Odyssey web browser to AROS"
In the requirements we should just ask for a simple GUI version and leave out all the MUI stuff not working in AROS.
Something like the GUI we have in OWB now should be ok, maybe Fab could tell us what could be done.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 14:31

Group:
@nikolaos
If you want to go down the quick fix route, then updating the WebKit engine in AROS OWB to a newer version should help. That's the biggest improvement you could get for the smallest effort.

Posted on: 2011/11/30 15:16

Group:
Well when you think that OS4 now has Fab's original non HTML5 browser and I guess will get odyssey soonish then Aros needs to catch up.

It is the old thing of people want to work on exciting stuff for there hobby and not boring.

Still think Aros need some kind of foundation like Haiku to raise money to pay a professional developer to work on the basics.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 1:00
http://www.amiga25.org

From Sunny Finland
Group:
I was once eager (what I weren't...) to add some more functionality to the GUI part, but if I remember correctly the GUI was not written to be nicely modular (or just my bad coding skills)

I don't remember exactly what I was trying to do, but if I recall correctly I was trying to add home button to the toolbar but I had hard time accessing the preferences object where I stored to location...

I looked at the Amster sources for references and there the code was pretty modular. I think the GUI is just something put together quite quickly as the main thing then was the OWB engine.

URL icons could also add a bit more bling to the GUI, in my opinion.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 1:21

Group:
perhaps some fabs improvements might be introduced to aros owb, it likely be easier just porting the whole odyssey thing over. even though it might be a little overblown already, ;) no pun intended!

Posted on: 2011/12/1 4:18

Group:
@HenryCase
Quote:

Odyssey already has some HTML5 support.

Mediaplayer for hmtl5 audio/video done not by Fab, but by some other person, who not want to open their sources, and because of this not aos4, not aros will have html5 support at all (until someone will not write new player for, or until fab will not make new open source version, in which he not very intersted of course).

So, having odyssey on aos4/aros its cool, but without html5 media player it a bit "stripped" => no youtube video in the owb window, not html5 support in whole and so on. Of course fab's browser its not only html5 support, but still its very nice to have for end-users.

Someone can try to ask Fab who do mediaplayer, and how much that person want to open the sources, so we can collect and make aros/os4 port as well.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 6:49

Join us to port dopus5 to amigang platforms here

Group:
There's quite some confusion in here. :)

HTML5 is something much larger than just HTML video and audio. Even the Webkit version used in AROS OWB (about 1 year old) had HTML5 support, but with some features disabled like HTML5 Media, WebSockets, ...

Of course, WebKit also got more HTML5 support since a year, since HTML5 is still in specification phase, and no browser fully supports the whole thing yet.

Odyssey built with a WebKit from a couple weeks ago scores 301+15 points at html5test.com (with some disabled features like WebGL, Geolocalisation or workers, which hurts the score a bit, of course). As a comparison, latest version of Chrome scores 340, latest Firefox 313, latest Safari 293 and latest Opera 286.

Now about the AROS port...

Updating the current AROS OWB port with latest WebKit engine will really be quite a tedious work, because there were about 50000 commits since the revision you have at hand. I'm sync'ing regularly WebKit, and it's already painful to catch up after a couple weeks (which is why i do this almost weekly), so imagine the amount of work after a 18 months without updating....

Besides, AROS OWB doesn't even use the Cairo gfx backend (and before you're scared, Cairo is a simple matter of recompilation, in software mode), but SDLgfx backend instead, which was developed specifically by Sandlabs guys and which is totally outdated by the numerous modifications that happened in WebKit graphics API. It means you would have to switch to Cairo backend, which also means you'd have to adapt a part of the rendering/blitting code in current AROS port at the very least. And there were many other changes in memory, thread, event, whatever support. AROS OWB is just outdated, and updating it would almost mean rewriting it, anyway.

Now about ripping apart Odyssey and keeping the AROS GUI...
I don't allow my project to be torn apart (you take the whole or nothing), and anyway, you'd really lose many features doing so, like:
- Multiple tabs and windows
- Download manager with resume and history support
- Password manager
- Cookie manager
- Messages console
- Network connections manager
- Session support
- Fastlinks
- Configurable MIME types
- Content blocking
- URL Completion
- Favicon support
- Private Browsing
- Per URL settings
- Configurable contextual menus
- Configurable search engines
- Contextual cursors
- Drag and Drop support
- Spell checking support
- Fullscreen support
- OpenURL/Rexx support
- PDF export
- Plugin support
- WebInspector (FireBug-like)
- User scripting (GreaseMonkey-like)
- And even things like bookmarks and history are more advanced as well.

Most of these features aren't offered directly by WebKit and had to be created or at least completed in the port and GUI.

So the work spent in crippling Odyssey should rather be spent in enhancing Zune instead. And anyway, when i read someone already had difficulties adding a mere toolbar button to AROS OWB GUI (which is really trivial by the way) and noone really dared improving it because of that, i can't imagine for a second someone attempting the effort of integrating current WebKit in AROS OWB GUI, which is definitely much more work than adding a button.

@kas1e

No, I wrote 95% of the mediaplayer. Only a small part of it (some rescaling algorithm) isn't from me, which is why i didn't opensource it.

Posted on: 2011/12/1 7:50

Group:
@fab
Quote:

No, I wrote 95% of the mediaplayer. Only a small part of it (some rescaling algorithm) isn't from me, which is why i didn't opensource it.

That cool :) So can be somehow convince you to rewrite that 5% of rescaling algo, or ask person who do it how much he want to open the sources of it ?

Posted on: 2011/12/1 10:58

Join us to port dopus5 to amigang platforms here

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.